In 1913 the citizens of the newly formed City of Hubbard voted for a $20,000 bond issue to construct and equip a public high school building. Construction was completed in 1914 and from that date to 1978 the structure was the only high school in Hubbard. A new and larger school was constructed beside Highway 31 west of Hubbard and opened its doors for students in the 1978-1979 school year.
The vacant school building fell into a state of disrepair. In 1982, fearing the old building would be demolished; a group was formed to save the structure. The group, which became known as the Hubbard Community Affairs Association, raised $16,000 to purchase the building from the school district. The building became a community center and museum commonly known as Historic Hubbard High School.
The building was refurbished using donations and grants. By 2003, $539,000 had been invested into the building with most of it coming from private donors. Room by room the interior has been restored and renovated. The first floor now houses an area history museum, the Wilkes Memorial Library, and the Tris Speaker Sports Hall of Fame, which contains memorabilia from Tris Speaker, Tony York and Carlisle Littlejohn.
On the second floor is the Berta Leon Doll Collection housed in the Class of 1946 Room; the Savage Room, and the Holman Room. The Savage Room, restored by the Savage family, is a large room used for major social events, and features a beautiful replica of the original tin ceiling and a full kitchen. This facility is often rented by the public for weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, and family reunions. The Holman Room is a salon-style meeting room which has been elegantly restored by the Holman family with lovely furniture that creates a spacious seating area as well as a table for conferencing or meals. The Holman Room may also be rented for smaller events. A third salon-style room known as the Class of 1946 room has also been elegantly restored by the Hubbard High School Class of 1946.
The basement contains the Frances Savage Gremillion Genealogy Center, funded by the Savage family, the Hubbard High School Sports Museum, the Children’s Library, the Murphy Filling Station and Garage Room, and the Crystal Theater room.
Foyer on First Floor
Second Floor Foyer
Hubbard Sports Room
Historic Hubbard High School
300 N. 6th Street
P. O. Box 183
Hubbard, Texas 76648